Stainless Steel Exhaust

Restoring or repairing your CSK? Please share the joy (or otherwise!) here, and also please feel free to ask questions too. We'll try to help but our advice is an opinion only and you use it at your own risk...

Stainless Steel Exhaust

by Robert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:02 pm

This morning my new stainless steel sports exhaust system arrived at the partsdealer. The sytem will connect to the heads immediately, skipping the castiron manifolds altogether.

I intend to do the exchange myself.

Guys, any suggestions, tips, tricks or hints as to getting the job done sensibly and preferably in a reasonable amount of time, all on my own?

Cheers
Robert Heezen CSK050

Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust

by DAVID KENNEDY » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:32 pm

GOOD LUCK!
I HAD MINE FITTED BY THE GUYS WHO LOOK AFTER MY C.S.K.
WHEN I PHONED FOR A PROGRESS REPORT THE AIR WENT BLUE!
IT WAS A NIGHTMARE TO FIT DUE MAINLY TO SPACE ISSUES I THINK WITH THE FOUR INTO ONE PIPES ON EITHER SIDE.
ALSO THE FIRST SYSTEM I HAD SOUNDED GREAT (LIKE A TVR) BUT ONLY LASTED ABOUT 2 YEARS. I GOT ANOTHER SYSTEM FROM RIMMER BROS WHICH DOES'NT SOUND MUCH DIFFERENT TO NORMAL BUT THE ENGINE SEEMS TO PREFER PERFORMANCE WISE.

by Robert » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 pm

(gulp) thanks David, that sounds just wonderful and very reassuring...

I did have a quick look around the manifold and noticed that it will be a fidgetty job getting my large hands in spaces where they're probably not supposed to be (or won't fit anyway...).

I'll try and convince my wife to give me a hand... :D that's how we first met anyway: she has small hands and was able to give me hand fitting those awfully small hoodstuds on my MG. I gave her a lift afterwards.

I'll keep you posted.
Robert Heezen CSK050

by Robert » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 pm

The Rimmer Stainless Sports system has just been fitted, sounds lovely and seems to go well with the engine.

Question:
1. as the system is fitted directly to the heads, they do tend to get awfully hot. Is it sensible to use an exhaust insulating wrap (thermo-tec?) or is that just a matter of giving it a de-rigeur sports look?

2. Is there any truth in the fact that electrical systems are more prone to fail in these hot conditions?

3. What about temperature and airflow

4. finaly: letting the engine breathe out easier with this system sounds fine. Should I also let it breathe in easier by fitting a K&N filter?

Quite a lot of questions, I agree. Anyone with some sound advice or experience? Let me know and I will be forever gratefull.

Have a nice weekend,
Robert Heezen CSK050

by stuclark » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:58 pm

While I haven't got one of these (yet, can't quite afford it yet), there's a couple of general points I can help with...

Yes, electrics don't like heat. It causes them to do all sorts of silly things, including giving up working all together. Anything you can do to prevent them getting hot is a good move.

There's been a lot of discussion on the Range Rover Register forums about changing air filters to something like a K&N... the general consensus appears to be that it's probably not worth the expense...
CSK 109: Genuinely 34K miles, genuinely unrestored, genuinely in need of some TLC.

by Robert » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:27 am

Stuart, thanks for your advice. As for K&N's, yesterday I spoke to a friendly garagist who put it quite bluntly: you don't want to spend money on a bespoke suit when it's going to be worn in a barn.... My CSK isn't so much a barn but does stil need some more fixing-up, including a camshaft swap. My gentle greenlaning and everyday use should go pretty well with the standard 50 pence paper filters and is a lot more costeffective in view of all the other projects.

Cheers
Robert Heezen CSK050