Sunroof seals

Restoring or repairing your CSK? Please share the joy (or otherwise!) here, and also please feel free to ask questions too. We'll try to help but our advice is an opinion only and you use it at your own risk...

Sunroof seals

by Iain McCombe » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:34 pm

I'm in need of a little advice and/or help please ..... :S :S :S

I'm told that sunroof seals are nil-stock in OZ and even queries to the UK have been unsuccessful.
Are there alternatives? I have an idea that the later glass sunroof might use one the same as the steel roof versions but the other is quite different. (I'll check parts manuals/CDs etc over the weekend.)

The existing seals appear to be of a softer material surrounding a nylon former. I guess that, over the years, the pressure on the seals between the sunroof aperture and panel have caused the material to wear out over the harder edges of the nylon former.
This means that when the sunroof is open or tilted, the slipstream teases the fabric away from the former.
Fortunately, I've always been able to get the car back home and the loose material fiddled back around the spacer (takes an hour or so!) but Murphy's Law suggests that I'll get caught in the rain sooner or later. And not opening the sunroof is not really an option in this climate!

Re: Sunroof seals

by John.Reddie » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:44 pm

I can confirm that the glass sunroof is larger than the metal one and hence I imagine that the seals would be different. That said, the difference is around an inch extra per side and an inch greater depth (all to the rear), and so you might be able to get away with it by simply cutting the seal short. I guess you'd have to try it to see...
John - CSK072
WebMaster - www.rangerovercsk.com