Author
Message
mbishton
Posts:15
:: Quote ::
Subject: Door Mirrors
Hi guys,

Does anyone else have a CSK with non electric door mirrors?

I have #049 and it has opening quaterlight windows in the front doors and non electric door mirrors (I presume because the electric variant would foul the quaterlights when they open)

I have a letter in it's history file from the Range Rover club stating although it's #049 it was the 111th built and that it has manual door mirrors.

Does anyone else have a CSK like this? Or even any idea why this is like this as the info from the RR club seems to suggest it is factory information, as opposed to the doors being changed and standard electric mirrors being retrofitted (therefore binning electric variants) and installing opening quarterlights.

Cheers,

Matt

Range Rover CSK No. 049
Monday, 03-Aug-2009, 12:06:58
stuclark
Posts:167
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors
That's very interesting, and the first I had heard of manual door mirrors and opening quarter lights.

When you say the Range Rover club, do you mean the Range Rover Register - if so, who is the letter signed by? I may be able to get more information about that letter if you can tell me who wrote it.

Other than that, the fact that the CSK numbers don't match the build order of the cars is well known. The theory goes that the CSK plaques weren't ready at the time of production and were randomly stuck on the vehicles once they'd left the line.
Monday, 03-Aug-2009, 23:58:51
mbishton
Posts:15
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors
stuclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's very interesting, and the first I had heard
> of manual door mirrors and opening quarter
> lights.
>
> When you say the Range Rover club, do you mean the
> Range Rover Register - if so, who is the letter
> signed by? I may be able to get more information
> about that letter if you can tell me who wrote
> it.
>
> Other than that, the fact that the CSK numbers
> don't match the build order of the cars is well
> known. The theory goes that the CSK plaques
> weren't ready at the time of production and were
> randomly stuck on the vehicles once they'd left
> the line.


Hi Stu,
Having long since worked for LR Special vehicles, I can well believe that about the plaques!

From memory, yes, I believe the letter was from the Range Rover Register but I'll dig the letter out and see who it was written by and come back to you.

Cheers,

Matt

Range Rover CSK No. 049
Tuesday, 04-Aug-2009, 09:16:27
mbishton
Posts:15
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors
stuclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's very interesting, and the first I had heard
> of manual door mirrors and opening quarter
> lights.
>
> When you say the Range Rover club, do you mean the
> Range Rover Register - if so, who is the letter
> signed by? I may be able to get more information
> about that letter if you can tell me who wrote
> it.
>
> Other than that, the fact that the CSK numbers
> don't match the build order of the cars is well
> known. The theory goes that the CSK plaques
> weren't ready at the time of production and were
> randomly stuck on the vehicles once they'd left
> the line.

Letter was signed by an R. Malone (Chairman) from the Range Rover Register.

Cheers,

Matt

Range Rover CSK No. 049
Tuesday, 04-Aug-2009, 20:30:22
diffwhine
Posts:16
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors
According to Microcat, opening quarterlights were deleted on 2 door models at VIN EA351846, long before the introduction of the CSK. I might be wrong, but this looks suspiciously like a pair of retrofit door tops. Will keep hunting - never seen this before...
-------------------------------------------------------
> stuclark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That's very interesting, and the first I had
> heard
> > of manual door mirrors and opening quarter
> > lights.
> >
> > When you say the Range Rover club, do you mean
> the
> > Range Rover Register - if so, who is the letter
> > signed by? I may be able to get more
> information
> > about that letter if you can tell me who wrote
> > it.
> >
> > Other than that, the fact that the CSK numbers
> > don't match the build order of the cars is well
> > known. The theory goes that the CSK plaques
> > weren't ready at the time of production and
> were
> > randomly stuck on the vehicles once they'd left
> > the line.
>
> Letter was signed by an R. Malone (Chairman) from
> the Range Rover Register.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt
Friday, 14-Aug-2009, 14:56:27
mbishton
Posts:15
:: Quote ::
Subject: Re: Door Mirrors
Hi there

Yes, they could well be but I think the door assemblies are the originals due to paint ageing and coachline etc... but may well have had retrofit door tops from a much older car (why?!) as the electric mirror adjustment switch is in place in the dash however the letter from the Range Rover Register does note about the fact its been built with manual mirrors and opening quarterlights!

Bit of a mystery this one!!

Cheers

Range Rover CSK No. 049
Tuesday, 18-Aug-2009, 12:57:58