Current Page: 1 of 2
Author
:: Quote ::
Subject: New Owner - 153
Hi,

Just a quick line as new owner of 153. Picked it up from Stuart on Sunday and drove her straight back home.

Its a reasonabley solid manual with an RPI 4.6 in it. Has got great potential and a list is growing fast for it!

Currently on a set of all terrain tyres and aftermarket wheels they're coming straight off to be replaced by original wheels and Pirelli Scorpions (nice wide ones).

Suspension is going across to 1" lower springs with gas shocks and blue Polybushes (just ordered, hopefully fitting this sat).

Steering is a little interesting a present, may put a twin damper unit on it, ultimately a quick ratio box.

Brakes are rubbish, fluid change and general overhaul coming up ASAP.

Engine is OK, will hopefully dyno at some point but more urgently has a very annoying miss at 2k rpm. Getting a full service etc tomorrow.

Current radio and speakers are a little lacking, much better system going in.

Bodywork wise original front spoiler and fog lamps on ASAP, new bonnet, A pillars, tailgates and paint to follow.

It joins the Kestrel prototype (currently being put back on the road) as well as a couple of Overfinches and various other LR products!!

Photos to follow smiling smiley
Tuesday, 02-Dec-2008, 23:14:47
Jeremy
Subject: Re: New Owner - 153
Springs, shocks and tyres ordered!
Tuesday, 02-Dec-2008, 23:43:32
Jeremy
Been through the workshop for an inital check over, MUCH better than hoped for!! grinning smiley

This one is solid! Looks like nearly new calipers, pipes, pads and disks.

Slight weep from the t/box output seal, sump gasket a bit of a weep, mess from the oil filter and the PAS pump is leaking. Swivel seals are a bit rubbish but otherwise very very good!

Minor downsides, someone has glued the access panels under the front of both seats in (pain to connect her up to read the ABS codes but not impossible). The centre box has been replaced with some flexi pipe. Thats not staying..

Tomorrow sees the new springs, shocks and proper Polybushes fitted along with oil leaks sorted. Assumeing all goes to plan, then a thrash upto Suffolk and back...
Friday, 05-Dec-2008, 19:06:50
Gareth
you do pick a good 'un you lucky thing! mines off the road for a while untill i get funds and a place to do a full strip and rebuild done (apparently ive got to wait untill after i get married (new year) or i'll lose bits of me, the soon to be she-who-must-be-obeyed does have a wonderful way with words! smiling bouncing smiley )

No. 57
old enough to know better-young enough not to care
Tuesday, 09-Dec-2008, 17:09:21
Jeremy
Quick update... Car is now lowered (1"), decent shocks fitted. Ran out of time to get the Polybushes fitted.

Dave (owns a 50th with an RPI 4.8 in it) had it yesterday to sort the brakes out. Job done! He's bled them correctly and sorted the bearings out. We now have proper brakes.

New tyres are fitted to the original wheels so its looking right, just spoiler and fog lights to go. May make a sight *addititon* to the front...

Engine still has an annoying miss at 2k rpm, will look at that soon, also looking at something a little more drastic under the bonnet.
Thursday, 11-Dec-2008, 19:13:10
Defender50th
Hi Jeremy,

Nice to see a new enthuisatic member, you seem to be getting your CSK sorted out smiling smiley

Does it look good on the -1" springs, pics would be good.

----------------------------------------------
James
Thursday, 11-Dec-2008, 22:53:03
Jeremy
Thanks, will sort some photos ASAP. Looks much better than it did!
Friday, 12-Dec-2008, 07:05:11
Jeremy
Not the best photos, from last Sunday

Still loads to do!!
Thursday, 18-Dec-2008, 20:28:56
Jeremy
New headlights fitted (can actually see at night now!)
PAS pump changed and leaks all sorted
New spoiler and fittings ordered
New radiator ordered

In pretty much daily use being driven hard (this engine is so revvy its lovely) and I'm getting roughly 15 mpg which I'm happy with.
Tuesday, 30-Dec-2008, 19:31:01
Gareth
nice to see such passion for landrovers! from the pics you have a very special couple there! CSK and G4 (going a bit green with envy here!) i'm limited to the CSK which is in my parents back garden at the mo as no room at my place (one stupid space for parking!)trying to source a barn or workshop so can work on it in the warm and dry!! grinning smiley
good luck with the repair work!

No. 57
old enough to know better-young enough not to care
Saturday, 03-Jan-2009, 12:58:09
Jeremy
The G4 is my off road toy. Been to Bosnia twice in it (going again later this year) and loads of green laneing!

Its a constantly evolveing vehicle, Devon 4x4 have recently converted it to auto (with Compushift). Next stage is a bit more torque...

Hopeing to have the Kestrel back soon, now thats an interesting vehicle!
Saturday, 03-Jan-2009, 20:00:29
Jeremy
Seems a bit quiet on here at the moment?!

Mine has been in pretty much daily use since I've had, averageing about 300 miles a week in it (glad petrols come down...)

Since the photos above the boys have nearly finished the mechanical side of it, new radiator, full service etc and we've finally got the front spoiler back on (looks so much better, just need to fit the fog lights now...)

Worryingly the engine was quite dry under neath when I bought it but a couple of weeks ago she was covered in oil. Seems the oil pump was loose. Now retorqued but I'm suspicous of it.

Hnadleing is nearly sorted, she now takes a local figure of 8 roundabout 3 mph (still with in legal speed limit you'll be pleased too know!) quicker than a year old supercharger. Steering is still traditional Classic rubbish, few little tweaks to be done there.

Next plan of action is to sort the heater. Current thinking is to strip the dash and centre console out and carry out a few little tweaks in the process. To that end I'm on the look out for a 93my Vogue SE to break. It has to be a 93my, no earlier. If anyone has one let me know!!

Photos to follow!
Friday, 30-Jan-2009, 20:34:52
Jeremy
And first big problems...

This engine has always rev'ed really really well. Last weekend under hard driveing she started missing at the top end. Now every so often she wont rev over 3k. I'm hopeing its a fuel block...
Friday, 06-Feb-2009, 20:30:50
Jeremy
In the snow...

And just for something different, my pair of Overfinches...

Sunday, 08-Feb-2009, 16:37:13
Jeremy
As it seems a bit quiet on here recently a little update on 153...

I stopped useing it daily and went back into a company car. 5000 miles in that and a change of job means I needed to move it.

In the mean time it had been slowly fiddled with as and when. Front axle overhaul, fog lights refitted etc etc.

I've missed it!! Just been out for a good run and shes as great to drive as always. Loads more to do, annoyingly the A pillar seems to have rotted on the OS in about 2 months!!
Friday, 29-May-2009, 20:26:16
C1CSK
153 must've been a very late seller being on a J pre-fix, or is this a number issued post registration date??
Chris
Saturday, 30-May-2009, 05:27:34
Jeremy
Just a late seller. By all acounts the manuals didnt fly out of the door when they where new!
Saturday, 30-May-2009, 06:30:44
C1CSK
Similar story with mine, having been registered in March '91, but I've never encountered a post August '91 registration. One of my previous Range Rovers was a '90 Vogue SE, and it was fully loaded so this may be one of the reasons for the reluctance to buy the CSK which was in the showrooms at the same time, after all there's no tinted windows and only two doors! Still, having owned both I can say that the CSK is better built, my four door fell aprt at the rear arches inside the doors for example, and a much more enjoyable car to drive - mine's manual too. Good luck with the proposed work - keep us posted.....
Chris
C1 CSK
Saturday, 30-May-2009, 12:47:31
j,moore
hi all, my csk is a j reg as well, from what i remember at the time some garages took some time to sell their csks, our local dealer had one in for nearly 18 months and in the end it sold for 26k, if i haddnt still been at school i would have bought it myself !

just out of curiosity, how do you post pictures on here, i've got a few pics of my csk restoration i would like to share.

regards, james.
Friday, 12-Jun-2009, 18:36:39
j,moore
IMG_3317.jpg
well i tried, maybe someone will show me how to post pics?????

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 12/06/09 18:46 by j,moore.
Friday, 12-Jun-2009, 18:43:49
Jeremy
Easiest way is to create a Photobucket or similar account (free), upload your photos to there and copy the img tag.

If you goto to the photobucket website it explains it all, dead easy!!
Friday, 12-Jun-2009, 20:29:50
j,moore
Sunday, 14-Jun-2009, 09:11:36
j,moore
i did it,,, i'll start my own thread now with a few pics for you all to look at,

thanks jeremy very much.....
Sunday, 14-Jun-2009, 09:14:07
Jeremy

Havent done much with it recently, g/f seems to be useing it all the time.

MOT is looming I think so exhaust needs sorting quickly!!
Sunday, 09-Aug-2009, 13:59:37
jonl
What make, model and size are your tyres? They look great!
Thanks
Jon
Tuesday, 24-Nov-2009, 12:20:24
Jeremy
Must dig it back out, its been parked up since MOT expired. Tyres are Pirelli Scorpions, will check exact size but from memory 255.

I really rate Scorpions and put them on all my Classics, great tyres!
Tuesday, 24-Nov-2009, 20:59:34
jonl
I presume they are the STRs as they don't seem to do the ATR in a 255. If they are the STR, are they OK off road?
Thanks
Jon
Thursday, 26-Nov-2009, 11:19:32
Jeremy
255/65R16 is the size.

To be honest this doesnt ever go off road (have other ones for that!).

Just spent a few hours looking through bits for, found a good pair of s/h A pillars that should work...
Wednesday, 02-Dec-2009, 16:49:56
Jeremy
Not really done much with it recently, still in storeage over the winter.

Did buy a G WAC Disco though...

Wednesday, 24-Feb-2010, 17:22:47
Jeremy
Had a PM about the springs and I think someone asked me a while ago.

They're basically Famous Four 1" lower springs. This is the 3rd Classic I've had a set on and I recommend them. It sits about the same height as a Classic with worn springs but with decent tyres, shocks and bushes goes quickly round corners! smiling smiley
Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010, 16:54:33
Current Page: 1 of 2